Written for HackSpace magazine issue 30
When you look in the mirror, who couldn’t use a few words of encouragement? Build a display inside a mirror to scroll custom affirmations you can read over your own reflection. This polished project comes together easily with a store-bought shadow box frame and some see-through mirror material. You can build a simple version with a basic Arduino or compatible, or level it up using a NodeMCU (ESP8266 WiFi board) in order to add more positive quotes to the mirror over the internet.
For this project, you will need:
- Shadowbox frame
- See-through mirror glass or acrylic
- Black paper tape
- Pen or pencil
- Ruler or tape measure
- Craft knife
- USB cable
- NodeMCU, Trinket M0 or similar microcontroller board
- White alphanumeric LED displays with i2c backpacks (I used three but two is also fine)
- Soldering tools and supplies
- Large solderable breadboard
Read the full tutorial on HackSpace.
If you like this post, you may be interested in some of my others: