Phoenix Indie Craftorama this Saturday


Local event plug: I’ll be at the Phoenix Indie Craftorama this Saturday from 10-4 representing Craft Magazine (mags, box sets, t-shirts, etc.), and there will be book signings, demos, and crafts for sale and giveaways from all the fantastic craft collectives around Phoenix. The Crafty Chica has organized the whole thing and I’m sure it’ll be loads of fun!

Groups include:
The Phoenix Fridas
The Phoenix Craft Mafia
The AZ Crafty Burritos
Las Bandidas del Arte
Conspire Phoenix
The Purdy Girls
Calaca Cultural Co-op
and me for Craft Magazine

Saturday, April 26th, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.,
Phoenix Duck and Decanter, 1651 E. Camelback Road

LilyPad Embroidery added to Projects, see it in person

I just finished up a first composition using the LilyPad Arduino, entitled “LilyPad Embroidery: A Tribute to Leah Buechley.” Check it out over at the project page, and/or come see it in person this Friday at 7 at the Cartel Coffee Lab in Tempe, AZ.

New Publications at CHI

I recently had two short papers published at the SIGCHI conference on human factors in computing systems (CHI) in Florence, Italy. My colleague Lisa Tolentino went to present our poster on the Sensor Squid Relation Game. One paper focused more on the squid, entitled Sharing the Squid: Tangible Workplace Collaboration (download PDF) and the other focused more on the game and overarching situation, entitled Creativity Interventions: Physical-Digital Activities for Promoting Group Creativity (download PDF). Above is a picture of Lisa talking about the project at the conference. Photos by fellow attendee Ryan Spicer.

From Hobby to Business: A Crafting Panel

I’ll be sitting on a panel discussion about turning your craft hobby into a business at Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe, AZ on March 14th. Description from the site:

Join “Crafty Chica” Kathy Cano Murillo and a panel of professional crafters for a discussion on turning your creative hobby into a profitable business. Panelists include Linda Young from Art Unraveled, Craft magazine’s Becky Stern, and Laboratory 5’s Cyndi Coon, whose line of handmade greeting cards recently launched nationally. Moderator Kathy Murillo is a syndicated columnist who appears regularly on the DIY Network. She has a line of wallpaper borders and accessories available at Lowe’s Home Improvement stores, and her Crafty Chica product line is set to be released in stores in spring 2008. Her latest book is Crafty Chica’s Art de la Soul: Glittery Ideas to Liven Up Your Life.

The talk will be from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. More info at the Changing Hands website – Link.

UPDATE: My travel plans have been tossed like a salad, and I won’t be making it to speak at this panel. But you should go anyway!

CRAFT Issue 6 Release Party in NYC


Michelle Kempner and I are hosting a party for the release of issue 6 of CRAFT Magazine, for which we both write. Details:

VENUE: Make Workshop

195 Christie St., Suite 502

(btw Stanton & Rivington)

New York, NY

PH: 212-533-9995

DATE: Sunday, March 9

TIME: 12-4pm

We’ll have materials there for you to make the plush felt monsters on the cover of the issue, plus door prizes and snacks. If you’re in LA, Milwaukee, Portland, Chicago, or Atlanta, there’s a party for you, too. More info at the CRAFT blog – Link.

TV-B-Gone Tampon Case

It still holds tampons!

I just got a new Adafruit Industries TV-B-Gone v1.1 kit (Thanks, Limor!) over the holidays, and decided to embed it into my tampon case. I never needed to carry around that many tampons, anyway! It still holds two, plus the electronics. I pulled out the switch on the PCB to the outside of the case so it can easily be activated while holding it, but also by items on a table! I find one of the most useful places for the TV-B-Gone is in restaurants. The button points slightly downward, so you can slyly press it by moving it up against something on the table, like your wine glass, flatware, etc. TVs don’t always bother me, but now I can turn them off during my most irritable time of the month. I made a Flickr set of the construction.


Sternlab Cross Stitch

Sternlab cross stitch

Finished up this little URL cross stitch on the plane back from Connecticut. See more of my needlework URLs here. – Link.

Airport Code Patches

Airport Code Patches

Peter had this idea a long time ago: patches for your backpack to show off the three-letter airport codes of all the places you’ve visited. He’d like this because he’s been to a lot of obscure airports. I made some and set them for sale on Etsy, so check them out. I’ll make you whatever airport code you want. My folks were very excited to get ones for Calgary (YYC) and Sioux City (SUX).

Scarf Rly added to projects


Scarf Rly

I made a scarf, as per Justin’s request, with two of the O Rly owls. I’ve also included the knitting chart so you can make it yourself. – Link.

My Laser-etched Laptop

My etched laptop

While in New York visiting around the holidays, Phil Torrone and Limor Fried invited me over to adafruit industries to laser-etch my laptop. The natural choice for the design was my favorite illustration by 16th/17th century pharmacist and zoologist, Albertus Seba. It’s coral, but also looks like a tree or blood vessels. Thanks guys! I have a photoset of the process on Flickr.